Thursday, July 15, 2010

Oath








Since I missed a MAJORITY of Stephen's graduation, when he told me about taking the oath in front of the board I decided to go. Yes, that made me weird and I was told that I'd be the only "regular person" at a fire board meeting. I was ok with that and promised to sit quietly and behave...which is much more than I can say for all the kids I farmed out. Gabriel was at his "summer school" classes. My mom took Garrett to swim lessons and Lincoln got to hang out at home with a babysitter.

I had to hurry to get there on time. It felt like I'd driven too far and missed the road somehow...just then I found the road. I parked one minute late, grabbed the ignition half of my keys and got in quickly. It was nice to be able to sit and watch him take his oath uninterrupted. After the oath I stayed for a little while to just see how the meeting went. I'm very glad I did. As each issue was discussed the board brought up very good questions, and the chiefs had very good explanations. It was very obvious that both the board members and chiefs try to make decisions based on the good of the community they serve, not their bottom line. I appreciated that that will be the employment environment Stephen will be working in. They were also honest, moral people that consider ethical ramifications of each decision. My Mr. Straight and Narrow will be a good fit in that kind of environment and I know that he'll never be asked to compromise his standards or do anything questionable. That's a comfort.

He's with a good district, and working with lots of good people. The meeting was actually pretty interesting. I loved watching the tact that was employed in describing a specific group...I think I would have used different descriptors. ;-)

At family night this was explained:
-We will risk our lives a lot for a life that is savable.

-We will risk our lives a little for property that is savable.

-We won't risk our lives for something that is already lost.

Safety is a BIG thing and knowing that he'll never be hurt or killed by running into an empty building that is already lost has brought peace to my mind. I'm struggling with several things with the kids right now. One day I thought I was about to break and had the terrible thought I could end up alone with them. My next thought was, "Oh no no no I was NOT sent single parent kind of kids." Knowing what a priority safety is brings comfort and calm to my mind.

As I left I discovered that I'd actually put the wrong half of my keys in my pocket. GRRRR! I was SO embarrassed as I walked back into the lobby. However, I did get to meet and chat with the receptionist...she's a really nice lady. She called a couple of the on duty firefighters over to help me. Have I mentioned how embarrassed I was. I didn't tell them who I was connected to, but they knew I was one of the new guy's wife. Poor Stephen is hitched to such a bumbling wife. They had the door popped open REALLY fast. The guy said, "I was a thief before I did this." Hilarious! I thanked them and they assured me that they wouldn't tell. {;-D That night when I told Stephen how fast they opened it he asked if I'd told them, "Wow last time I did this it took a lot longer to open it." That's a different story I'll tell you another day. Each key for that car costs nearly 100 bucks (bought online for cheaper) so obviously we don't have a spare. We'll be getting one of those very soon...because I'm bumbling and my brain is being sucked out at an alarming rate these days.

2 comments:

Sheffer's said...

I love your ramblings, Mariah. It's just like old times. :D I'm so happy for you and your family. It's so hard to not know what the future will hold! You're amazing. ;)

Brianna said...

I'm glad he's with a department that is SO different from the one we've had so much experience with.

And I'm glad you got to go see him take his oath without any kids in tow. :)