Friday, May 8, 2009

Fathers and Sons Campout


I just have to announce:

I'M BASKING IN THE QUIET CALM OF THE FATHERS AND SONS CAMP-OUT!!!



I don't know who first came up with the idea of a fathers and sons camp-out, but I've decided whoever it was is a GENIUS.One night a year I get to go to bed without chasing half naked yahoos around the house. I get to eat a warm dinner without having to get up and take care of anything. I can eat my ice cream at any time I want to and I can eat it before that warm dinner if I want to. I know that tomorrow morning I'll wake up, just because it's time, not because Garrett is banging on everything he can get to in his room or to Gabriel so quietly asking to watch TV. I've said it before we're bad parents and taught him to turn the TV on by himself...so he won't wake us up in the morning asking to watch it. I know that Stephen is going to have a loooong night, but the boys will have the night of their lives. Last but not least after such a long night I know that it'll all happen again next year because Stephen had so much fun camping with his dad as a kid and wants our boys to have the same fun memories.

I used to feel ripped off that the girls didn't get to go camping. (We did have one mothers and daughters camp-out growing up but the Priesthood didn't want to do it again.) Now, I have a MUCH better idea of why this wonderful weekend happens every year. So sorry to all the all girl families out there you'll have to come visit me sometime.

Ahhh, I must go now and let the quiet envelope and soothe me into a TV watching zombie state, and to all a good night.....


11 comments:

Brianna said...

Enjoy your quiet evening...alas, I have 2 girls and am not experiencing this joy as of yet. But I did love it each year growing up. It was a special time for my mom and I...G'night!

Sharron said...

So go zombie and quit texting me already!! JK enjoy and maybe next year you can send Lincoln up too
;-)

Linda said...

Such a funny post! Have a great time basking in the quiet.

Unknown said...

Ha! That's awesome! I wish I could have at least one night like that. Maybe I will...in 40 years.

Liz said...

Crystal and I look forward to it every year. Teele usually goes with them but not this year. I was bummed but Crystal still came over and we still had "Girls" night with Jayden, RaLee, Crystal and I. It was bitter sweet for us though because Spencer always took them when they were babies too so we tried to calm the voices in our heads reminding us that Sage was not on the father son camp out with daddy and never would be.

Sorry I'm kind of missing the little booger tonight.

But I totally understand how happy and relaxing Father Sons Campout can be! I loved that Teele took the boys and loved it even more when he was in scouts and took his troop TWO times every month!

Enjoy your night.

Sheffer's said...

Our Fathers/Sons campout is usually in Sept. and I can't wait!!!! I hope you thoroughly enjoyed yourself last night. ;D

momma street said...

Oh the joy, the rapture! (sp?) Hope you had a great night sleep and a good sleep in! Our campout was last night too, but we weren't ready and camped up to be able to go. You can bet your dollar that all the camping supplies will be acquired for next year!

Dunklees said...

Sounds like my idea of a great night!

Liz said...

"When the lesson you are to learn is very important, difficulties can extend over a long period of time, but they should not be allowed to become the confining focus of everything you do. That perspective keeps challenges confined to their proper place - stepping -stones to further growth and attainment."
I've given this alot of thought and truly don't know how to take this comment that you posted on my blog. I've been through much in my life and I'm well aware of my trials being avenues for growth and turning them into stepping stones. We've been through hell and back and are still going to church, focusing on the positive an serving others. I feel like we are being chastised and that you think we are just focusing on the negative.
I've never wailed against God and for all that we've been through we have chosen to not ask, "Why me", but instead "Why not me."
So I'm hoping this was not meant in a negative way and would Love to have you clarify this comment.
Love you guys
Liz

Dansie Family said...

it wasn't the greatest this year because tom wouldn't take james because he isn't potty trained. and then came back early to go gallivanting with my dad and left me with all three kids at the yw carwash fundraiser. luckily no one got run over and my dad had fun with tom. and i can't go to sleep without tom, i have panic attacks and have to sleep on my cell phone.

maia said...

can't wait to send my boys!!! btw mariah, you should write books. you and your mom both are such great authors :) always entertaining!