Friday, March 20, 2009

Public Service Announcement....

I'm still compiling all of Lincoln's pictures from our camera, my mom's camera, my brother and sister-in-law's camera, and Stephen's phone. I know, life was a lot more simple when you only had one camera and took the nice little roll in for development and were done. :-)

This is my special venting post about our horrible insurance company. Blue cross blue shield stinks!! (yep, that's poop brown) Stephen doesn't have insurance through his work, and my job eliminated all the part time positions with insurance in the middle of 2007. That meant we had to purchase a private policy just for our family.

We chose blue cross blue shield; WHAT A HUGE MISTAKE!! They are the worst company. I've had to fight with them about every bill for the kids and me. Stephen went on a health savings account because he's a man and men don't use doctors or get sick. Blue cross doesn't cover anything with a pregnancy or delivery. Yeah, that meant that we've just added a very expensive baby to the family. We were blessed that the doctor and hospital both had self pay reduced priced packages. We paid just under $1,000.00 for lab work alone, because our lame insurance wouldn't cover any of it. It is crazy, if I chose to get no pre-natal care because it wasn't covered, an unhealthy baby would cost the company tons more money to take care of after birth. Not only that, but nothing was covered for Lincoln while in the hospital. That meant his shots, etc. were postponed till we could take him into the pediatrician's office. However, you can't bring a baby home till the pediatrician checks them out at the hospital; that check up costs 90 bucks. GRRR I want to switch to another company something fierce.

Now, for the icing on the cake. I checked my checking account today and see that instead of the $695 they were supposed to take out blue cross took out over $1,200. My fiesty temper flared. I called and they said, "oh well you added another dependant so that raised your rate to $878 a month, and we had to take out two months for Lincoln's coverage." I'm so annoyed! I wouldn't be quite so annoyed if they'd told me the new rate and told me that they'd be taking two months out for Lincoln. Communication, communication, communication, just tell me what I need to expect, don't sneak over $1,000 withdrawl in on me; it's not like I won't notice. Every time I see their commercial on TV about how they can help Arizonans with their wonderful policies and great coverage plans I want to puke and punch the girl on the commercial.

So, for all of you out there heed my warning: NEVER EVER SIGN UP WITH BLUE CROSS BLUE SHIELD FOR YOUR HEALTH INSURANCE!! You'll regret it till the day you find a new company.

Ahhhh, I feel better now. On to my next project...

7 comments:

Sheffer's said...

I'm so sorry, Mariah. The last thing you want to deal with after a new baby is stupid insurance problems! We're trying to have as many babies as possible while we're on state insurance so we don't have to worry about that kind of thing as much. ;D He's adorable, though!

Alison said...

That is so totally messed up. I would be peeved too. I am so sorry that such a happy event has something so bad and frustrating connected to it. I hope everything gets figured out soon.

Brianna said...

Life has a way of sending something terrible along, right after you were greatly blessed. I remember when Tati was born...she came into this life with jobless parents! We were just glad the insurance held out till the day we left the hospital. But I can tell you that I'd be at least as frustrated as you...especially when it came to taking that huge amount of money out of your account without telling you first! Yikes, that could have been messy. Hang in there. :)

dhillman said...

I am sorry Mariah, like you don't have enough to do! Hope it all get worked out soon!
Can't wait to see those pics!

momma street said...

I AM SORRY! What a mess! It just so happens that I have a brother-in-law who sells private insurance to people just like YOU! Let me find out his number and I will e-mail it to you. There has to be something better!!! can't wait to see that cute baby!!

Kathy said...

Sorry you've had such a bad experience with BCBS...I had similar experiences with Humana. I really hated them!!

I think there are quite a few different options with BCBS though, because I've had them through work and have never had any problems at all. We had our last two kids under them and they paid for everything they were supposed to.

That newbord rate is outrageous isn't it?? I remember when we were paying for a private plan I couldn't wait until the kids were 2 because it goes down a TON.

Dansie Family said...

that stinks. but luckily he is worth it all. doesn't make it any easier, though.