Thursday, February 19, 2009

For Papa; in Memory of MEEEE!


When I was an angelic little baby my mom took a picture of my Dad changing my diaper while wearing shooting muffs. Now, it may come as a surprise to some people, but I've always been a pretty vocal person. In the picture my mouth was wide open and I'm sure I was raising quite a ruckus.

Now that we have our own little angel the tradition has been passed on. Gabriel screamed his little head off for the first year with colic. Now, he just pitches a fit for old times sake. He got mad about what was served for dinner, and I'm a MEAN mom and wasn't about to make a special separate meal for an ungrateful tantrum thrower. He's inherited his momma's big mouth, and knows how to use it. Gabriel started his fit with the muffs on his own ears. Stephen looked over and said give those to me, you can listen to your own noise. So, for dinner that night Stephen ate in peace and quiet, Garrett and Mommy banded together and ate all our dinner and earned a treat, and Gabriel serenaded us with a colossal fit that did not earn a treat.

Families that eat together, stay together right?!?!

6 comments:

Sharron said...

Only difference id, no littlre pink bottom hanging out!

When Mariah was born, my mom was out in the hall waiting. When She heard precious granddaughter screeching, she thought, oh someone just had a boy ....HA!
What can I say, she came from a loooong line of loud mouths!

Sharron said...

Have I mentioned I barely passed typing 1 ?!?!? Rye, your job is proofing this for me.

Liz said...

I didn't know men needed ear muffs I thought they all just naturally tuned out the crying kids...especially the babies in the middle of the night...:) LOL Well Teele did anyway.

Brianna said...

Mariah, it is great to be able to pass on those sorts of traditions...right? lol. Anyway, I think what Stephen did was pretty funny...though I would have wanted a pair too. I won't show this one to Arianna, it may inspire her to try it out. Anyway, give the boys a squeeze for me!

Katrina said...

that is fabulous!! I have a daughter like that as well. She was colicky as a baby and still loves to throw fits. I think this is a perfect picture of what normal family looks like, I feel your pain about not cooking a seperate meal. I have had my kids go to bed hungry many a night because they chose to be picky!! This picture is priceless!

Kristen said...

I'm loving this story! I have this little girl at work who had a tantrum at the movie theater last week. I told her I'd take her home and she got even more upset. Once she calmed down we had a talk and I walker her back into the theater. This is a kid who truly can't make up her mind about anything. She had anothe breakdown on the way back in because she didn't want to see the movie anymore. Her punishment was to watch the entire movie.

Keep passing on all those great things your kids will tell their own stories about one day. And where can I get a pair of those muffs? They'd come in handy at work.