Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Literate?

Last night I noticed that the zucchini we had left from our Bountiful Basket had to be eaten right away. I like to eat it, Stephen will eat 4 or 5 slices and it's always a battle with the kids, so we really needed very little for dinner. I had Stephen google zucchini banana bread, so our last 2 bananas could be used too. I shredded too much zucchini for the recipe...just double it, right?? We borrowed an extra bread pan from my mom because we only have one. (When we got married I told Stephen we didn't need any bread pans because I don't bake bread and don't intend on ever doing it! He questioned this and ended up being right, after I realized banana bread is easy enough to merit ONE pan.) So, I'm getting it all together thinking that I'm doubling the recipe, then I notice the bottom of the recipe calls for 2 pans. GRRRRR! I thought I was literate, but obviously not. Apparently, I'm quadrupling it.
Poor Stephen was trying to eat dinner, but instead, had to go get 2 more bread pans from my mom's house. The whole time I was hoping the family would like it. If it turned out gross I wasn't really very excited about eating 4 loaves by myself. Good news, it turned out fine and Garrett was the only one that pitched a fit about eating it. Big surprise Garrett once again refused to eat what was served. TOO BAD eat it anyway kid! Once he noticed I'd added a few mini (SOY FREE) chocolate chips he was sold. Stubborn kid...I think he gets it from his Daddy.

After I got over being anoyed with myself I remembered an activity in 4th grade that was kinda like this. We had a whole lesson about reading over an entire paper or test so you know what you need to do. Later, my teacher passed out a "quiz" that was timed. She reminded us about what we'd been learning and started the timer. All the questions were really easy so I was tearing throughl the answers. The very last "question" said "Do not answer any of the questions just set your pencil down and wait for the time to end." At that very moment I figured out how the 2 or 3 kids that finished in 2 seconds did it. I was annoyed that time too....obviously not annoyed enough to implement what I'd learned though.

1 1/4 of the loaves have already been eaten. Guess we'll save the recipe and try to follow the directions next time.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Sounds good. I've never made it with bananas. You'll have to share the recipe. I'm a bad one for not reading directions all the way through!

Brianna said...

Hey, send the recipe along! I'd like to try it too...never heard of that combination, but I like both, so I'm game. Hmm...I remember marrying into a family with an older sister that DID NOT cook...what happened? lol. :)