Friday, September 18, 2009

Ahh, The Best Plans

The following conversation was heard in the Maskey house at the end of a long day of, much welcomed, last minute work that was picked up. We were getting ready to crash for the night.

(Just so we're all clear... this place is a wreck right now)
"Man, I had some big plans for this place today; I was going to get the kitchen cleaned up, make banana bread, vacuum the living room floor, and gets the kid's rooms cleaned up again."

"Eh, who cares, we'll get to it sometime....maybe."



Ok, who said which quote??

Give up??

Stephen was the one with the big plans for the house. Talk about a role reversal! We were both lucky enough to get work on the same day. I'm blessed that he actually makes plans like that. I'm also blessed that he has the know-how to pick up side work and supplement our income. I'm the tortilla winner these days because I have work, but not enough to be an official bread winner. :-D

I couldn't do anything but just laugh when I heard him say that. At one point I would have felt like a failure as a wife, and mother; keeping up with the house is my job. I guess technically I kinda am a failure, but I'm so glad that Stephen isn't mean or rude about my lacking and just helps pull it together when he can.

His philosophy of how to pick a spouse is:
No one is perfect so just find someone who's imperfections don't bother you that much.


While we were dating he saw all my unfolded laundry, moved me and all my junk twice...well three times if you include after we got married, never got a meal cooked by me, and saw how feisty I was; yet, he married me anyway. Am I lucky or what? Due to recent financial changes he now gets meals cooked by me, and seems to like pretty much all of them, which is more than I can say about our ungrateful children. However, I still don't fold laundry and still have a lot of junk...much of which is now available on craigslist. Funny how long you hang onto stuff just to realize YOU DON'T EVEN NEED IT. I am eternally blessed to have found such a good man that takes good care of me. I didn't make it easy for him to date me, and it's not easy to be married to me. Boy, am I glad that I didn't chase him off.

He makes a great banana bread I'm excited for when he gets to it. {;-D




4 comments:

Linda said...

What a great man you've got, but don't be too hard on yourself. There's a time and a season to all things. You're fortunate to have a good partnership going there.

Eldredge Family said...

Don't be hard on yourself.....my garage and house are always in some sorta turmoil!The other day I sent my boys to school......(bow head and under my breath whisper) with dirty socks on there feet! Yuck I know and yes I felt terrible! But I was trying my best and that is all he asks from us right?!!? Your husband is a wonderful man and loves you for all of your weirdness! Just like Spencer loves me even though I have my moments! I hope you can hang in there!

Brianna said...

Stephen is a GREAT guy. And you are very blessed to have him, and we are all blessed to have him be a part of our extended family. :)
On a side note, don't worry about being a "Failure," I am one too!!! But as long as we are able to help our families through rough times, I'm sure they won't care too much what the house looks like. :) We should come up with family support days! One weekend a month we could all go to a different house and just help get things done. Maybe just watch the kids so that cleaning can take place. hehe. :) Think on that! It could be life altering.

Dansie Family said...

you are lucky. i'm with you on the house, except i am home all day and have no excuse. but tom still comes home, doesn't say a word about it. he cheerfully does the dishes after dinner and doesn't complain and when i apologize for my inadequacies he hushes me. i guess we are both lucky.