Thursday, October 14, 2010

Going "Green"


This is our new "green" washer. We bought it shortly after we bought our house. It's kind of one of those things you need. If I remember right the washer was purchased before our bed. :-)

Last week it decided it was time to go "green". I had the last of the four loads I did that day in and was just waiting for it to finish up. I noticed it was quiet (it was bought before I began making appliance choices based on decibel levels so quiet is pretty noticeable) and went to switch them to the dryer. When I opened the lid it was still full of water. I messed with the cycle knob trying to get it to spin out. I failed. Grrr! Now what do I do...Stephen was on shift and my parents were gone AND it was a load of whites sitting in Clorox water. I couldn't just leave them till Stephen got home. Later that day my Mom swung by to fish the clothes out. She was able to rinse and spin them out at her house.

How is it "green" you ask? Well, it agitates just fine. So, in an effort to reduce our water consumption I figure we'll just keep using the same ol' water over and over and over again. It'll probably cut our water bill in half. :-) Such a gross thought!

I figure with a broken washer it's a sure fire way to get this baby to come.

When Stephen got home he started his research, this is what he found:

Problem:
"Fool thing won't pump out and I got a tub full of stinky water in the washer. I'm gonna die! EEEEK!"

Possible Solutions:
*Calm down, the pump's fried. If it's a belt-driven pump, you can tell by feeling how stiff it is to turn. For electric pumps, hook up a test cord and run it. Pull drain hose and watch discharge stream. If stream fluctuates or is pathetic replace the pump.

* Worn drive belt. In this case, washer won't spin either (or will have a sluggish spin).

*The drain hose is clogged (usually with panties or nylon stockings, yee ha). Pull drain hose and watch discharge stream. A good discharge stream will have the same diameter as the hose itself. If less than this, it's time to play find the panties.


Stephen showed me all our options and I immediately started whining that I needed a new pump, for me not the washer, and that this was really annoying timing. He responded that a washer was more important than a pump. I gave him my sweetest smile, kicked him as hard as I could and strongly disagreed. He's since been able to get it all figured out and we'll both get our new pumps! With a little creativity we'll have a bigger washer, a fixed washer to sell, and a new pump for Me. Going "green" will have to just wait a little while longer...

3 comments:

Sheffer's said...

My friend actually had a problem with her washer where it wasn't draining completely and was re-using nasty water over and over. She couldn't figure out why her clothes smelled so bad all the time! It lasted a few months before she figured it out and got it fixed. Eeeww! :) Glad to know you all got new pumps. They're very important! (And why don't those darn pumps last through multiple children???)

Brianna said...

I have many memories of my dad fixing similar problems for my mom. Older machines are way easier to fix then the new ones...so you have that going for you! These things ALWAYS happen at the WORST time...i feel your pain.

Hang in there!

Carrie and Michael Brown said...

TOtally the same thing happened to us only used for 3 months before it went into storage for 6 and when it came out it wasn't working! WHAT A WASTE!!!!