Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Quasimoto's New Girlfriend!


A few weeks ago pink eye went through all the kids. Thanks Kindergarten. One night my eye started feeling a little itchy and was kinda bothering me so I just took the kids left over eye drops and started using them as a preventative measure.

The next morning (the official first day of Christmas break) when I woke up my eye was RED! I thought, "Wow, this is really bad I need to use more drops." It got worse and worse so I used more and more drops...you can see where this is going. By 1:30 in the afternoon it hurt like crazy and was swelling so I went to the "minute" clinic at CVS. I waited for over and hour just to have the nurse take one look at my eye and send me to urgent care. So, I spent another couple hours at urgent care. That doctor gave me a prescription and sent me home with not much of an answer.

Once I got home and Stephen finished laughing at me I took a close look in the mirror. I looked like a mutant. I have green eyes and when I cry or they get red for some reason they turn bright green. The combo of psycho red and bright green made me look like a horror flick character. Anyway, when I looked really closely I noticed my actual eyeball was swelling. I was so exhausted and just wanted to crawl in bed and go to sleep; but, I was worried that it'd swell so badly over night that I'd wake up blind in the morning. There's not much work for blind interpreters. Stephen called a friend, that is also an optometrist, to see if he'd be willing to take a look at it. It was waaaay after business hours by this time. I was so grateful that he let me come over. He thought it looked like an allergic reaction. I was allergic to the sulfate in the kid's drops so every time I used them it worsened the reaction. He sent me home with better medicine and directions on how to help it get better.

I looked like a Quasimoto mutant for almost a week afterwards...church was fun. :) I'm so glad I didn't even bother trying to get family pictures this year so my weird eye wasn't a problem for that. In the end I DIDN'T even have pink eye, but know to avoid exposure to sulfates. I'm very glad to have both of my eyes back. It was such a fun start to Christmas!

5 comments:

Brianna said...

So sorry that happened! I've had an allergic reaction like that happen to both my eyes at the same time when I was in college. And that is why I stay away from cats now! Lets just say going to school and church was fun for me as well. :( Anyway, by the time we saw you on Christmas eve is was looking good! Glad you were able to figure out what the real problem was!!!

Unknown said...

Ouch! Did it hurt too?

Liz said...

Reminds me of my eye a few years back! I had to wear a patch when I went out. Those drops cost me a fortune too when they finally found some that would help I spent a few hundred on antibiotic eye drops! I was stupid when I did mine and was spraying Raid for spiders in the laundry room....dummy here was spraying above my head while little fine particles fell down right into my open eye. I felt like a freak for a while and it HURT!
Hope it's all better now.

Liz said...

Oh Mariah,
i had fun catching up on your blog!! Sorry about your eye and little Lincoln. Keep us posted when you find out whats wrong.

Our Adventures in Life said...

Nice job on your eye!!!! Once again this is why we only take medicines that are prescribed to ourselves. HAHAHA