Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Knowns & The Unknowns

Here's what we know so far...

*This occurs in 1 out of every 5,000 births.
*There is a huge spectrum of severity...she's on the better end. The bad end results in horribly sick babies that have trouble immediately after birth or pass away quickly after birth.
*She DID come home for a short time and that's a good thing.
*We caught it early, before it became an emergency.
*There is a hole in her diaphragm.
*Major organs vital to life are in the wrong place.
*The surgery will happen early tomorrow morning when the surgeon has his regular team and they are all fresh. I appreciated him taking that into consideration. He said he can take pictures inside for us too.
*She is STARVING, but can't eat. The IV is just not how she wants nourishment.
*Leaving her at the hospital is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. You're not supposed to have them home then have to take them back and leave them.
*She's being very well cared for.
*Stephen is in the middle of his 6 days off and can stay while I get things squared away for when he's back on.
*She is darker complected than Lincoln and me, but NOT as dark as I thought she was. Her dark coloring was from the lack of oxygen in her little body. After they put her on oxygen last night she looked like a different baby. I've never seen her that pink.
*She is not another self pay baby. That would have put us under.

Here's what we don't know...

*How big the hole is. The size of the hole determines the surgeon's course of action AFTER he gets in.
*The state of her lung. The fact that she was alright after birth has the surgeon thinking that it should be pretty good.
*How well the vascular structure of the lung was able to develop. She won't be able to make any more of the little air sacs, but the ones that are there should be able to expand and fill the whole chest cavity with time.
*The health of her heart. They did an ultrasound this morning and will have the cardiologist read it sometime this afternoon. It was weird to look down and see the ultrasound wand on the wrong side of her chest. The Drs think it should be fine.
*How long her recovery in the hospital after the surgery will be. It is totally dependent on her little bowel. There is so much up in her chest it's going to freak out being moved.
*Several of our questions were answered with that will depend on what we find when we get in.
*How the boys will react. We were just getting them back from the body snatchers that took them and re-establishing their routines. Just the slightest hint of the insanity was starting to fade.

14 comments:

Liz said...

Uggghhh reading this makes my heart feel like it's on the wrong side of my chest. I was telling the kids yesterday that I really think I am on the brink of total collapse and that one more "crisis" just might put me over the edge. So here's to nothing but good things and positive thinking! Again I'm praying for you and your family. How scary to think that she wasn't getting enough oxygen all this time and that she wasn't even the color you thought she was. That alone was scary to think about. Hang in there guys we are all praying for Lynneah.

Brianna said...

Myself, my family, and all of the Salpointe community are praying for Lynneah. Those are a lot of unknowns...but our love and faith are something we can all depend on. Please, please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Meals, house cleaning, or taking the boys to my house to play all day...it may help them to have a day without seeing the stress and sleeplessness of their parents and Granny Nanny. Please let me know what I can do.

We love you all!

Brianna said...

I can have the boys over this Saturday, if you think it would help.

Molly said...

Our prayers are with you and your family. Hope all goes well. Love you!

Sheffer's said...

I'm so glad you got your questions answered. I know exactly how it feels to bring a baby home, and then take them to the NICU and come home with empty arms. My thoughts and prayers are with you constantly. Keep asking the NICU nurses and drs anything you can think of. In my experience they are some of the nicest, most helpful medical staff at the hospital. Big, big, big, big hugs from KS.

Katrina said...

Thank you for keeping us updated Mariah!! We are saying lots of prayers for your family. I talked to my mom today and let her know too so she will spread the word. Prayers and lots of them!! I hope you can find some comfort and peace because that is what we are praying for for you too! Here is to a healthy recovery for little L~

Sheffer's said...

Oh, another thing I would say helps is to bring in some things from home to decorate her NICU bassinet. Have the boys draw pictures, bring in a special blanket, etc. It helps you feel better that she's surrounded by love from her family.

Eldredge Family said...

I am so sorry to hear about your little dolly. I keep praying and praying for you and your family. I am so upset about this. I almost vomit when I think about everything. I am thankful she is in good hands. I am so glad you caught it early. Please keep us posted. We are so worried. William was in the NICU for 13 days when he was born. I understand how hard it is to leave your baby at the hospital. I am proud of you for pumping. Love Crystal

Carrie and Michael Brown said...

I am so sorry to hear about your troubles. I know how hard it is to be without your baby and to worry and worry and worry. Find comfort in knowing that she is in good hands all the way around. I will be praying for you and your precious little one!

Anonymous said...

Reed just told me to look at your blog, and I'm so sorry to hear about this new development of adversity. We will definitely be praying for you and Lynneah.

Linda said...

Life is truly a walk in faith and it is usually the faithful that do the hardest walking. Cling to each other and the knowledge that Heavenly Father is the Master of all things. He loves you and He loves Lynneah. My prayers are with all of you to feel peace and comfort from the holy spirit. I love you, too.

The Roberts Rollercoaster RIde said...

OH Mariah! I was thinking of you and your family last night in the wee hours. I felt sooo guilty being able to nurse my baby when yours was back in the hospital. Our prayers are with your family. Just hold on and be strong!!

Our Adventures in Life said...

Love Ya!!! You will do great just like always even though you don't feel like you do. Let me know how I can help.

Joni said...

This is Wannie. Joni is here helping me take care of Don (he'll be okay, don't worry) and she showed me your facebook news. I am so sorry to hear about the baby but I am confident it will be okay. One of our nieces had a similar problem (not quite as severe) and she is a big, husky and healthy girl. We love you Mariah...we will send up lots of prayers for all of you. We have so many fond memories of you. Love, Wannie