Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Don't Even Know What to Title This...

Something hasn't been right with our little Lynneah. I couldn't put my finger on exactly what, but my gut told me something was wrong. I struggled with how to even describe what was going on. She kept turning plum purple when she would cry, then she would kind of grunt while she was calming down, then she would have huge amounts of bubbles come out of her mouth as she relaxed again. It was a bunch of weird stuff that I couldn't connect to each other. Then I noticed her little belly button stump was bleeding. That was the defining weird thing that made me call the Pediatrician. We got in the same day. Belly Button was fine. He agreed that these were a bunch of odd symptoms and suggested we treat for acid reflux and see if there was any improvement. She was doing pretty well then had another episode. I was just getting her calmed down when the Pediatrician's nurse called to see how she was doing today. I had taken note of the progression of the episode this time and explained what had just happened. The Dr called back a while later and said we should go ahead and take her to the pediatric ER for an upper G.I. tract scan. When we arrived her oxygen levels were in the low to mid 80's (rather than the 98-100% she should be at) which led to an x-ray and lots of activity in the ER. The x-ray came back and showed a hernia in her diaphragm. The entire left side of her chest cavity is filled with intestine pushing her heart and lungs to the right side of her chest. Yeah, while the Drs were talking about what they saw I caught that her little heart is on the WRONG side. She is now in the NICU till she can get into surgery tomorrow or Thursday. I thought she might have to stay for a couple of days after the surgery then the nurse said that no we were looking at weeks in the NICU after surgery. I kept myself together till the drive home...weeks...weeks...not good. Tomorrow she'll be two weeks old. I hate that she's there and not here. Stephen stayed tonight with her because every time I held her she wanted to nurse and she's not allowed to do that till after surgery. It's killing me. I'm so glad my pump got here. That's what I'll be doing for the next several weeks. She's such a dainty little nurser pumping is really not fun, but I want her getting that when she can eat again. I'm glad we have insurance again. I have to sleep now so I can get back to the hospital for the meeting with the surgeons early in the morning. Big breath...pray for her...and her momma that's a big mess.

She had a very long day! It took two tries for the IV, then they had to draw blood, then they put a tube down her throat all the way to her stomach, she can't nurse, and finally went to sleep from the exhaustion of it all. Oh, my sweet girl hang in there you'll feel better soon.

11 comments:

Sheffer's said...

I've been there, and I know what you're feeling. It killed me every time I left one of my babies at the hospital and came home alone. I would snuggle with Roman's blanket when I went to sleep because it smelled like him. You're all in my prayers, and I know that you're strong enough for this. You are not alone, and neither is your precious baby girl. The NICU is a place of miracles, the spirit can be so strong there. Love you tons.

Unknown said...

Oh Mariah that's so sad and I'm so sorry! I feel for you and pray that things will go smoothly and her little body will heal just perfectly. What a sweetie. Love you.

Brianna said...

I remember watching my baby sister in the ICU...she couldn't even come home from the hospital. It was hard. But they do take good care of the babies there.

Our prayers are with you, ever since we heard last night. Me and all my family will be with you through this in any way we can. Take comfort in the blessing she was given and the prayers on her behalf and those of the doctors that will care for her. We love you all very much. Please keep us posted.

The Coleman Family said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet little girl. You both will be in our prayers.

Sending love...
Jodie

Alison said...

My heart goes out to you Mariah. I can't even imagine what you all are going through. I hope things go well with surgery and she is on the mend very soon. You all will be in our prayers.

Katrina said...

I am so sorry Mariah. Our third little one had to be in the hospital when she was three weeks old due to RSV and had to stay for a while. Our prayers are with you and your family!! We love you all.

Liz said...

I don't even have words right now. My heart is breaking for you because I understand the worry, stress and sadness and frankly it just sucks! I have been praying for Lynneah and your family and hope she has a speedy recovery and is back home in her Mother's Arms where she belongs. Stay strong but remember it's OKAY to cry Heavenly Father understands. This stuff is supposed to make us stronger...right? Well it does but it's hard to see that when your in the middle of your nightmare. Again I'm praying for you...keep us posted. Love you little Missy!

Courtney said...

Oh Mariah, I am so sorry to hear that Lynneah is not doing so well and will have to have surgery. We will be thinking about all of you and hope everything goes well with her surgery.

pawlowski said...

Oh Mariah!!! I am so sorry!! I went through it with Adam, and it was hard. How wonderful technology is though, and how educated Dr.s are. She is in good hands...You can do this....you have lots of prayers and so does your little angel. Love you!!!

Munchkin Invasion said...

You don't know what to title it...I don't know what to say. I'm sorry, Mariah...you are so strong...apparently Heavenly Father thinks so.

We love you.

momentsthattakeyourbreathaway said...

I have so been there- and not too long ago! The feelings are still so fresh- the frustration and sadness at having to leave your little one and still manage the ones at home and everything else on your increasingly larger plate. You and Stephen are amazing and will make it through this- stronger for the struggle! Little Lynneah will be well taken care of even though you hate having her there (I know I did). I can't wait until she's home and with her big brothers and loving parents again. IT will be a joyous reunion! We're praying for you...