Monday, February 21, 2011

Bubble

I need a size 7 *slim* bubble.

My Gabriel is BREAKING my heart. I've spent more nights than I can count awake, thinking, crying, trying to figure out what course of action to take for my baby boy. I know, he's not a baby anymore. Just as I think maybe, just maybe, we've got it something new happens. Why are kids so dang mean by age three?!? Church, school, general public--there is no escaping for the target.
I hate it!!
I swore many times growing up and as a young adult that my kids would NOT experience the feelings of being unloved, unwanted or tossed aside. They were not going to have crappy childhoods. Now here I am watching the crappiness unfold before my eyes. I can't stand it I want to wring some little necks! He doesn't have his Mama's "I'm gonna get you before you get me" mentality (that's good it didn't serve me all that well). I can tell it's getting worse because he's spiraling out of control at home faster and faster.

I'm pretty sure a bubble that I can wrap him up in and regulate all that he sees, hears and learns will solve all my problems.

This meanness isn't supposed to toughen them till later. For a long time now I've felt that kids need some tough times to steel and ready them for missions, adulthood and the mean nasty workforce, but come on kindergarten/1st grade? No, now is not the time for that. I'd love to find those little brats and kick 'em in the butt when no one was looking. I'm sure that makes me childish...gotta get to their level.

(deep breath)
Off to write another email to the teacher and get the other kid's side of the story before I decide which course of action will be taken on the most recent incident.

5 comments:

Sharron said...

This is one part of my path I was hoping none of my kids would have to tread. I am so sorry for the worry, but you were picked to be his mother and that right there hopefully will remind you that you are capable of making good decisions in his upbringing, love, support and preparations for his life his life.

Brianna said...

I honestly don't even see why they'd be picking on Gabriel. I'm just his aunt, and it makes ME mad! Kids really are mean at a much younger age these days. I don't remember the teasing and meanness until almost 3rd grade. But Tati and Arianna have already experienced how judgemental kids can be...and they are just 6 and 4. I've caught them both being afraid to wear something (Arianna's glasses, or Tati's arm in a splint and sling) because they are afraid of being teased. And this is just coming from Church, and a few kids they come into contact with during they week...they don't even go to public school.

Then, I teach high school...it is terrible there! And I'm at a GOOD school. Just the way that kids treat each other today is wrong. They don't seem to understand how all the little things they say and do to be "funny" are really terribly hurtful. And to make it worse than it was when we were in high school...kids now continue the drama and torture on the web, for the WHOLE world to see.

I often fall asleep feeling the same way. And many tears are shed. But I know that through prayer and the right kind of love and support on the homefront, that our "babies" (for my big kids are still my precious babies too) will be strong enough to face life and challenges beyond their school years. It just might not be easy to watch, but they will make it. I firmly believe that is why these little ones come to us with such STONG wills and intense personalities...they will need it when they are older (and even right now).

Hug Gabriel for me, and let him know how much I love him!

Liz said...

Oh Mariah I'm so sorry for you and Gabriel. What are the kids doing? It makes me want to sit down with my kids to make sure they are never a part of bullying or teasing ven if its playful, it can so hurtful
Sorry you are going through this.

Alison said...

It has been so hard for me to deal with Zoey's first year of school. Of all the things I worried about most it was her making friends and not having a miserable social experience. We have been lucky so far though her "best friend" at school is a real brat. She says the meanest things to Zoey sometimes and it makes me so mad. Her mom is a teacher at school and after one incident it took all I had to not email her and give her the 411 on her snotty little rotten girl. I didn't though.

It is so hard to send our little ones out into the big bad world and let them stand on their own. I don't think I know nearly what you are going through but I do know it must be difficult. I hope some resolutions will come about soon. I just pray you all find some relief from all your trials for even a short time. You have really been through it and I hope you all are holding up ok.

Unknown said...

Bullying is so awful and it's getting worse everyday. Crystal is having problems with Wayne being bullied. They went to the school many times with no results. He and Trey were being Bullied on the school bus. So Crystal and Spencer took the kids off the bus and drive them to and from school. Then it started at school. So Crystal got angry in January and withdrew her three boys from the school to enroll them in the Legacy Charter School only to find that they didn't have enough Special Ed teachers to deal with Waynes ADHD so they didn't accept him. So she went back to Ellsworth Elementary and re-enrolled her kids with a warning that the bullying needs to stop. Well it didn't and Wayne was beet up on the playground by the same boy that beats him up on the bus. Then Trey came home with some scratches on his cheek. Anyway Crystal had reached the last of her patience and so had Spencer. She went straight to the Principal and really spoke her mind then Spencer talked to their Lawyer who is writing a letter to the school, I think it's called "A Letter of Demand", that basically states if the school fails to provide a safe environment for their children then they will be sued. It goes into more detail than that because they listed each of the incidents. They also said that their kids WILL ride the bus and they better ensure their safety. So it's been one week and so far NO MORE INCIDENTS! We will see. I hope that was the end of it. I know the boy that has been doing this was strongly disciplined but the school wouldn't say what they did.
Hang in there and know that you have rights.
Your a good mom!