Thursday, October 22, 2009

Almost a First....

Sunday afternoon we were sitting in Sacrament Meeting minding our own business...ok I lied...we were sitting in Sacrament Meeting trying to not be the noisiest family there. I've decided that as long as there is one other family noisier than us the day is a success. Just Kidding, we really are trying to teach them to be reverent...often it's just flat out a losing battle...

Anyway, we were sitting there and the whole Young Women presidency and most of the advisers were released. I kinda took note of that, as we were still trying to get the critters settled. The next thing I hear is Sister "Human" (Gabriel's new teacher of less than 3 months) get called to the Young Women. First I thought, "No Way! Seriously??" The look I shot to Stephen and his reply confirmed I'd heard right. Then I hear, "any opposed?"

I honestly started to raise my hand, in the split second before it went up I caught it....barely. The idea of doing that has never even crossed my mind before. I really really wanted to raise it and shout, "NO WAY, YOU STINKY OL' TEENAGERS CAN'T HAVE SISTER "HUMAN", SHE'S TAKEN, AND LOVED BY LITTLE ONES THAT NEED HER MORE!!" Selfish? YES!

Gabriel's class is BIG.....and uh....WILD. Some Sundays there are other kids his age being naughtier than him. It's evil, but I'm relieved on those days that it's not always my kid in trouble. Several months ago they split his class into two classes, fantastic idea. Nearly 10 wild 5 year year olds will take even the toughest teacher out. For another couple months he had a sub every week while they waited to get a permanent teacher called. I apologize to all the subs, these kids didn't make it easy. One of the subs told me later that she won't sub in the 5 year old class anymore....not that I blame her. Finally, Sister "Human" (Gabriel's mispronunciation of her last name, and such a cute mispronunciation) was called as the permanent teacher. I was SO excited! I knew she'd be able to love those wild kids into behaving and reverent-ish-ly learning important lessons each Sunday. It's been less than 3 months and the change in that class has been amazing. They don't even look like the same class anymore. Gabriel and his wild little buddy are quieter, even if they're moving, it's quiet moving. When they come back during the last 15 minutes of Primary they walk in instead of pushing and running to be the first to sit down. The best part is I can see Gabriel get corrected when he's making bad choices and usually take it pretty well; such an important skill to have for life. He loved to sit on Sister "Human's" lap, making bad choices often got him on her lap, but I could see him physically relax and calm down once he was in her arms. She sent a really cute picture to the kids one week with their picture and "Jesus Loves Me" under it. It's proudly displayed on his wall now. He had such a happy smile....I love it.

I believe when asked to take a calling the answer should be yes, I guess that means when asked to support a change in callings my answer should still be yes....even if I want to say No Way Jose. Oh, how I hope and pray the Lord has someone in mind that can love these wild yahoos as much as their parents, and He does.

You will be hugely missed Sister "Human"!


~Side note Garrett's class has 13, yes you read right, 13 Sunbeams coming up in January. I am going to have SO many years of apologizing to teachers for the insanity they have to endure on behalf of serving my kiddos.~

4 comments:

Alison said...

I was also very sad to see her go, as a member of the presidency and as a mom. Little Zoey adores her too. I just feel bad that those CTR 5s haven't had much consistency since the start of the year. I have confidence the next teacher in will do a great job too. We will REALLY miss Sister Hillman though.

Eldredge Family said...

Our wards are so big. I don't even know my kids teachers names! I recognize them and wave as they sorta float towards the class! I hope they find a good teacher for the class.

Brianna said...

I feel that way about Tati's nursery teacher who was called just a short while ago. She has been so good for the nursery and she has helped Tati love it (even though I don't help in there anymore!) That was a major break through. As far as I know, she's not being released. But this past Sunday I realized that moving means starting all over for Tati. We will miss her current teacher in the weeks to come...that is for sure! Good luck to your ward as they replace a loved teacher.

Munchkin Invasion said...

When you find a teacher that can love your little ones - it's always such a painful process to see them go...I was surprised that she was released so quickly also. :(