Monday, February 15, 2010

Baby Steps...

This title could apply to so many aspects of our lives right now, like Stephen finishing the semester's worth EMT course crammed into 4 weeks...crazy, 1st interview with one of the fire departments, a good amount of work for me this semester, but, no this is about literal baby steps.

Yesterday Lincoln gave us all a great Valentine. The whole family was in the big boys' room while they got ready for bed. Lincoln was hanging onto the side of a storage tub, turned around and started walking toward me like he'd been doing it forever. He got a solid 4 steps in a row in before he lunged the rest of the way into my happy Mommy arms. Gabriel yelled, "Whoa! Did you see that?!? Lincoln can walk!" Garrett just giggled and laughed with excitement. Both big boys are so excited for him. I was excited we were all there to see it together. He's been taking a step or two off and on for a while now...I knew he was getting so close.

From the second he was born I knew I'd miss a lot due to the need for me to work. I'm glad I have the earning power to step in as needed. I've managed to get his pictures semi on time, I have lots of candids from here at home, and surprisingly, I've been able to see quite a bit. I'm working much more this semester (which is a much needed good thing), and Stephen has been absent for the last 4 weeks. I just knew that's when he'd decide to start walking and both his parents would miss it.

We claim being the ones to see it first. IF we're not, I DON'T WANT TO KNOW IT! I want to live happily in my delusion that I was able to see my baby's first steps before anyone else. If you've seen him take that many steps in a row already, DO NOT share it with me....EVER. Having that said, I'm very excited for him. He's already a climber just imagine all the new stuff he can climb in/on once he's proficient at walking.

7 comments:

Sharron said...

You are indeed the first, not to worry! and I ask again, what the heqq is your hurry? You do remember what happens when they start walking, right?

Brianna said...

I felt that way with Tati. It broke my heart to learn of all the firsts i missed. So when I actually got to see something done for the very first time it was a treasured moment. How fun for Lincoln's older brothers to be big enough to be excited for him! :) Look out, now the three of them can be "creative" together!

Katrina said...

yeah! Your in for it now! So glad that you were there to see it though. That's the best Valentine's ever!

Munchkin Invasion said...

Congrats!!! I LOOOVVVEEE when they start walking - they are so much more independent! And, I celebrate independence!!!

dhillman said...

yeah for Lincoln and mom and dad too!

Ava Nielson said...

How exciting! So glad you were all together to witness it! I am a little jealous, though...maybe Lincoln could share a few pointers with Aubri! :)

Liz said...

Mariah, I love your sense of humor.
By the way I enjoy reading your blog, even though I don't always take the time to read a comment.