Thursday, February 11, 2010

Kindergarten Musical

Last night was Gabriel's Kindergarten Musical. They titled it "Dreams Really Do Come True" then the kids learned dances to several Disney songs. SO CUTE! The teacher that did so much of the work on this thing is battling cancer right now. As she stood there in the hat covering her now bare head, she talked about her only dream was to see this show happen. It was touching. She talked about celebrating the magic of childhood, and fostering that magic. She's a wise woman that has been teaching Kindergarten for over 30 years. She knows the magic of childhood is fleeting.

I remember at the beginning of the year the teachers explained the kinds of things the kids would do during the year. When they talked about the musical I thought, "Good luck getting Gabriel to cooperate with that one." Well, all I have to say about that is SHAME ON ME for selling my kid short on expectations. Gabriel is NOT an easy kid, and took so many years of work to get him on an equal playing field with his peers. I have to remind myself often that he's not that multiply delayed kid anymore. Some areas he still struggles with, but is willing (most of the time) to work to overcome those areas. At church he LOVES Sister Golding and the fun singing times she comes up with, but rarely do I see him sing a note. So I really didn't know how'd he respond to a musical type activity.

He was assigned the character Timone. (The little Meerkat from Lion King.) When he told me that I thought it was a perfect, skinny fit for him. He took his dancing and practicing so seriously. He would come home and watch Lion King, when the part with Timone, and Pumba came on he'd hush the room so he could pay attention. He'd watch it so intently to make sure he didn't miss anything. He was a regular little understudy. I've been so happy with the growth this program has fostered in him. Now, I have to be clear, he was in a very short segment that you could tell was reserved for the kids with the short attention spans. Did he know that his part was shorter? Nope and didn't care either; and I am glad that they recognized they couldn't overwhelm him with a long dance. His part was just as important as any other. He was SO cute! For several weeks now he'd tell me all about his practices and the black lights. I kept thinking how do they work black lights into something like this? Well, now I know and how cool it was! His eyes beamed with delight, as he danced his little heart out. I can't even begin to express the feeling I have when I see pure, unadulterated joy radiating from my Gabriel. It was the joy of success. Kids need to feel triumphantly successful. I love that little Timone!

The kids did a performance for the school during the day that was professionally filmed. You may be thinking, "professionally filmed, come on it's Kindergarten." Yeah, I bought the DVD. It was that level of great.

After we got home Gabriel told me that the kids waiting to go on stage were watching Sponge Bob. I don't let them watch that show. It's not a really bad show, I just don't like it and I'm in charge. Anyway, he told me that he went and told the teacher that he can't watch Sponge Bob. I asked him what he did instead. He answered so matter of factly, "I just watched a different show on her phone." "Oh, what show was that?" "Scooby Doo!" I wonder when he got into that show? I don't think we've ever watched it at home... I was proud. This is the beginning of him standing up for what he knows he needs to do. It was a little thing, but practice with the little things is what preps these kids for the big things. Unfortunately, the big things start coming while still in elementary school. Working in the schools has been good for me to keep in touch with when these kiddos need to be ready for standing up for what's right.

I've said it before, and I still believe it....THIS is the school Gabriel needed. The entire district's focus is on fostering positive learning environments for these kids to succeed in. The actual superintendent was in attendance last night. All the seats were taken by families there to support their kids, so the head of the whole district stood for the entire show. He didn't leave till he'd seen the whole program and chatted with many of the families. I've seen this man attend NUMEROUS activities throughout the district. I've seen him walking around different campuses talking with the students. He recognizes staff, frequent visitors (like interpreters), and students. The students also know who he is, how many of us had any clue who our superintendent was? I don't even know the name of the superintendent from my district, much less what he looked like. These are the differences that reinforce my decision. So many times in life we're faced with a decision that we know will have long lasting ramifications. I'm so relieved we made the decision that was right for Gabriel. So much of child rearing is a stab in the dark, it feels good every now and then to know you did good.

5 comments:

Linda said...

Heavenly Father knew what He was doing when He sent Gabriel to be your son. Your post was so filled with love and admiration for your little guy--even with all the "learning experiences" you have been blessed with. You are an awesome mom Mariah!

Munchkin Invasion said...

Yay!!! Gabriel!!! I'm so proud of him. :) What a superstar and I wish I could have seen him be Timone.

I'm glad your decision for kindergarten is going well - sometimes moms really are given help from above when making those difficult decisions. :)

Sharron said...

I'm so glad that we can get DVD's to see this again. Gabriel will have to share it with Papa when it comes in.

that is such a great district and I have wished I had know it when my kids were growing up. It is really amazing. I love going over there, to see Gabriel and to just soak up the wonderful spirit there.

Brianna said...

I was heart-broken over having to miss Gabriel's performance. After all, whenever my choirs perform, Gabriel is one of my strongest supporters and I really wanted to be there. As I sat in my own rehearsal I thought of him. I'm glad it went so well, and I hope he will want to share the DVD with me when it comes in!!!

Way to go Gabriel! :)
We love you!!!

dhillman said...

Just catching up--but was so touched by your post! I would have loved to see that--Gabe is a special little man. And I agree with Linda totally!