Friday, February 19, 2010

INTRODUCING....


Hades!!
As in hotter than...


Ya'll thought I was gonna say I was pregnant didn't ya?? Uh, definitely not, soooo not a good time for that!

Three years ago our heater broke. We just used lots of blankets and got some space heaters "to get us by till we could replace the heater and put in AC". Weelll, three years later, I still had no heater, a miserable swamp cooler that is a useless piece of junk the last week of June till the last week of August, and I was not going to freeze for one more winter. I know, I know we really don't freeze in Tucson, but I'm acclimated and I freeze. Not to mention space heaters are
D A N G E R O U S!
Stephen grew up in Bisbee in a house originally built by Phelps Dodge (very typical mine quality) with no insulation in the walls, no central anything and they used space heaters. The fact that his parents are still using this kind of heater worries us constantly! I've finally convinced him that the big holes in our walls are where warm air comes out in the winter and "cold" air comes out in the summer.

He started his hunt for a fix that we could afford. He usually succeeds triumphantly, but this one is mine all mine. One morning my mom and I were driving home from Bountiful Baskets and noticed a yard sale sign. I told my mom, "oooh, that's the Golding's neighbor, they always have good stuff."
I've found lots of great kid stuff that's still in good shape there. This morning was no different. We were walking back to the car with our loot when something caught my eye. It was Hades. I stopped and asked if that was a heater. The lady said it was (they took it out when they put in AC...cruel twist) and only 2 years old. I called Stephen he looked the model number up online, did a quick price comparison to other heaters listed on Craigslist, called me back and said to grab it. He joined our cold little home for 50 bucks.

He's been installed for the whole winter and works like a champ. I love it. All but one of the space heaters are gone! The day Stephen got him hooked up he took the house from 60 to 68 degrees in 15 minutes. So, he's also much more effective than our old one too. The old monster ran constantly--that equals a BIG gas bill.

I am so grateful we stopped that day, and that we've had such a nice cozy winter.

7 comments:

Munchkin Invasion said...

I love a good bargain shopper - and you and Stephen have proved that you are the bargain shopping CHAMPS!!!

Brianna said...

Its huge, and has a great name!!! But I am so glad you've been able to be warm this winter. It really helps to battle winter colds, and just grumpiness in general I think. And the lower gas bill must be a real blessing right now! We've been impressed at the fact that our house is twice the size of all our apartments, but all our energy and gas bills have been MUCH lower! So I know how good it feels to see a bill actually go down, instead of up!

Sharron said...

Hades is a great name for it. That is what your house usually feels like now, little reptilian!

turn down that thermostat and your bills will be even lower!!

Love, your "hot" mama

Courtney said...

Wow that is great that you were able to get a heater in time for winter and for $50 too. Have fun staying warm, although who knows how much longer that will have to happen:)

Unknown said...

You guys are awesome. You do things I never could.

Dunklees said...

Love the name! So glad you have had a warm winter - we can definitely relate to your desire to be warm!

Dansie Family said...

what a great deal!! i need one on a washer.