Thursday, February 4, 2010

Whooo Me??

This morning Stephen went to the side of the house to get a satellite dish he listed on craigslist for someone to look at. When he got over there he found a dismembered rabbit leg on the ground.
GROSS!
He's lucky I didn't find it, I wouldn't have handled it well. When we lived in Holbrook I went out one pitch black, inky night to collect my rabbits for a 4-H show and only found pieces of them. I was traumatized and have been terrified of the dark for years now.
Tonight as I was loading up to go to YW Volleyball I looked up and saw our little friend here. This darn thing is huge! I told Stephen, guess we know what ate the rabbit. Just as we were talking about that we realized he was eating another rabbit tonight. Now that the critter has had multiple meals in our backyard I'm a little worried about our "rat" dogs. Chihuahuas are not much bigger than a rabbit.
A few years ago we got the bright idea to breed our little female Chihuahua, sell a litter to recoup what we paid for her, then fix her. We paid a hefty deposit on a Chihuahua "stud" and brought him home. He disappeared over night. He'd been grabbed from the backyard by a large bird of prey and dropped in the desert about a mile from our house. Fortunately, he survived and someone took him to the pound where we found him and returned him to his owners. They offered to give the deposit back, but after all the trouble we just let them keep it. It didn't even work...no puppies. After all that drama we had her fixed anyway. We are the proud owners of an AKC papered, spayed Chihuahua. :) Knowing that her "stud" friend was carried from the yard makes me nervous for our little dogs now.
The boys thought it was way too cool. Stephen was glad they couldn't tell he actually eating something. They just thought it was cool to see a big bird.

3 comments:

Brianna said...

Wow. Good luck with your new tenant! Sorry about the dead rabbit parts he leaves behind. That isn't so cool.

Linda said...

Now I know what those rabbits pieces in my yard were from. I thought it might have been a bobcat or something. I didn't even think of an owl. Funny story about the stud--maybe they should all be dropped in the desert! Ha!
Seeing wild animals/birds, etc. is such a great learning experience for kids.

Munchkin Invasion said...

THAT IS ONE BIG BIRD!!!!!