Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Neighbors

All of our neighbors are retired...on all sides of our house. They were a little worried when we initially moved in because we had a bunch of college guys helping us move our treasures. Once they realized we were newlyweds and it would only be the two of us living here I think they were relieved.

We all lived a quiet, nice little life of retirees and never home full time employees. They were and still are all friendly, with the exception of one that was recently rude so I've decided I don't like him anymore, and would ask how we were doing and always wave. Stephen has helped several of them with moving heavy things, etc. We had a great quiet little end of our street.

Then...

We brought home our screeching Gabriel. I felt bad leaving doors and windows open during swamp cooler season because I was worried all the neighbors would be bothered by the crying. They were all still nice to us anyway. The cute couple that lives right across the street from us are especially nice. They are a fun, super social, couple from New York. They've brought a cute little gift over after each of the boys arrived and send little Christmas gifts for the boys. Really we hit the jackpot with having them for neighbors, it's like the kids have a 3rd set of grandparents. Lincoln even waves and jabbers at them when he sees them. *Just a side note the wife has mentioned how bad she felt for me after Gabriel was born because she could hear him crying all the time. She said, "I told ---(husband) that baby must have awful colic or something with all the crying." So, I learned my concern that all the neighbors would hear the constant crying was valid. :-/ They still love us... and Gabriel...so all is well.

Recently, the husband came over for something. They hadn't noticed my ever expanding girth yet. He looked at my big ol' belly and exclaimed, "Whoa, what's that?" We kinda laughed and said it's what was planned for next April. He laughed, slapped Stephen on the shoulder and said, "Ha you dirty old man!!" It was hilarious! I wish I'd had a camera to catch Stephen's expression.

I still feel like the noisy intruders on our quiet end of the street. Now all the neighbors have to listen to the boys squabble and their mom yell at them. I'm sure it's a lovely thing for their golden years. We're working on bringing calm to the house and yard....for the benefit of all those in the surrounding areas. :-)

5 comments:

Liz said...

I am glad that you hit the jackpot and have some good neighbors! Older people sure can get cranky over kid noises and messes thats for sure. For me it would be nice to watch your family grow but thats me I guess. I hope I make a nice old lady!

Brianna said...

That does sound like a great neighbor! We really got lucky with the neighbors we share a front yard with. It's just a husband and wife, but he is in the airforce and has come to help me out of difficult situations when Rob has been away, and we've had the chance to help them a few times too. It's nice to live next to someone you LIKE living next to! (So different from every changing apartment life!) I hope to be home next year so I can get to know more of our little cultisac.

The Roberts Rollercoaster RIde said...

hahahahahaha! luv it!!

dhillman said...

What nice neighbors. this was so funny Mariah--thanks for the chuckle. Did you tell them it was a girl this time?

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you have understanding neighbors. I'm guessing they can sympathize because they've experienced a bit of it themselves. It's always nice to have such great neighbors. We had a great "grandpa" kind of neighbor when we lived in Tucson, and it really made a difference in our lives.