Monday, November 17, 2008

Gabriel's First Primary Program


This weekend was Gabriel's first Primary Program. We worked on his part for several weeks, and he had it memorized well. His line was:

Bible stories teach me how to live the Gospel.


He had it memorized so well that he started adding to it, his own version was, Bible stories teach me how to live the Gospel with flowers and dogs. After a little coaxing we were able to convince him to just stick to the regular line. His little class also had the first verse of one song to sing. He did well singing here at home, but I wasn't sure how it'd go at church.

The night before our Ward had a practice, so the kids would know what to expect. I had Gabriel all prepped for the practice. So, 6:30 rolled around and we headed to the church. We got there and couldn't find anyone. I called one of the leaders, and discovered it ended at 6:30. The start time was 4:30. Yeah, I felt pretty dumb. What's worse is that I called the one girl I have in my class and gave her the wrong time too.

I explained to Gabriel that I messed up and we missed the practice. He took it well, but was very disappointed. He asked why I messed up, so I told him that my brain was broken. He suggested that I get a new brain with a hole in it. (I think the hole in it is the problem. ;-D)

Not to be outdone by his brother Garrett piped in with his own solution to Mommy's broken brain. I hear his little voice from the back seat say, "You need new batteries Mommy?"
I had to laugh out loud...from the mouth of babes. Garrett has a bumble ball that bounces around the floor. He LOVES that thing! He'd turn it on and leave it bouncing around all day if we'd let him. His little bumble ball eats batteries like crazy. He now get one set of batteries a week, causing him to constantly ask for new batteries. Batteries solve all of this kid's problems. He likes to put them in his mouth too. It's gross, but even more than that, it's a major choking hazard, and acid leak hazard....(sigh) BOYS!

Fast forward to Sunday morning. Gabriel did well all morning, picked his suit and tie that he wanted to wear, and I was confident that all was well. We walked into the building and it was all over. He wouldn't sit up front with his class, OR wisper his fight with us. Finally, we settled on he could sit on my lap if he would do it with his class. Yeah, just what I wanted to sit in front of the entire ward and get beaten to death by the 4 year old on my lap. He was calming down and settling into sitting in front, when he decided to throw his "baby". I told him it was gone, that throwing his baby was not ok. He proceeded to start a slow motion, fairly quiet, punching fit with me. When I didn't let him actually hit me, the noise started. I had to take him out for a time out, just the fantasitic behavior I wanted to deal with in front of everyone. My parents have soooo already gotten their revenge for all the rotten things I did growing up, and I'm only 4 years into it.

We got back in just as the program was starting. He was in the first group of kids that went up to say their lines. He stood up and waited, I thought we were gonna pull it off. Then he decided he wanted me to go up with him. When came to get me they thought we was coming to sit down, so the intro for the music started. He was upset that he didn't get to say his line. Sister Lindsey was really sweet and let him go up with another group, totally out of order, and say his line. He stood up, holding his "baby" and delivered his whole line. Good job Gabriel!!

He turned around, smiled at me, ran back to my lap, and wispered, "I said my part really really fast Mommy." Funny kid. He didn't sing a sigle song during the entire program. The end was approaching so I got him ready to stand up with his class to sing I am Child of God. Once again, he wanted me to hold his hand while he went up. I was able to get him up there alone, and sit back on the bench. He didn't sing a single word of it, but was cute in his little suit and tie anyway. What an experiene it was. You did a great job Gabriel! Thanks for working so hard on your parts at home with Mommy and Daddy.

I think the highlight of his Sunday was going to class with his cousin, and the spiderman bag he was given in primary for doing a good job in the program. The spiderman bag is now his "baby" carrier.

Stephen said Garrett was really into watching the kids stand up and talk. He kept saying, "I want try, my turn talk." I hope we can keep that going until he's old enough to get to participate.

It was a good day. My baby is growing up fast, and his brother is following right behind.

3 comments:

Liz said...

Good job Gabriel! And good job to mom too. You have to be commended for hanging in there and working so hard with him even taking him to his practice...even though you had the wrong time. Your a good mom Mariah.

Sharron said...

"Isn't it wonderful to see that your child has followed her excellent example and become such a good mom", said Mariah's humble mother ... giggle. And just for the record, oh no I haven't had my revenge yet, and I am enjoying the show!

I am proud and grateful for the wonderful parents that Mariah and Stephen are. They do have very full plates and those boys make a person exhausted just being in the same room with them. Keep it up kids!! Your grandkids will make it worth it! LOL

momma street said...

Way to go Mariah! It is a constant battle is it not - why don't I remember signing up for that??!! Oh remember the good ole single days in Tucson....... Just kidding - it is pretty great most of the time! =) Gabriel sure did look handsome.