Sunday, November 2, 2008

He PEED in the Potty!!

I've decided that if we're going to have a 3 year break between our second and third kid, I should have a break on the diaper changing too. Our little Gabriel wouldn't even try till he was 3 1/2. I was not excited about the prospect of Garrett following suit, so I went ahead and put him in pull ups just to see what would happen. We're "lucky" in these parts that we have no winter, or anything that even resembles cool weather, so I can just put him in a shirt and pull up and see right when he's peed in it. That way he, at least, gets used to stopping what he's doing and changing.

This morning Stephen noticed that he'd been dry for a while and put him on his new spider man potty seat.

(AHHHHHH, cue the light and angelic singing) It happened....a real, full pee in the potty!

Until now we've had some squirts, but nothing substantial. I'm so excited we might actually pull this off before #3 gets here. I'd take even a month or two of fewer diapers. It might make me a bad mom, but we bribe with candy for using the potty. Since, we've just finished trick-or-treating, there is plenty of candy around to bribe with....and I don't have to buy any of it. Timing potty training with Halloween might be right up there at genius level. ;-D

When my sister was potty training, my Dad made up a cheer for her. Yes, we use it too. After a while the candy phases out and the cheer takes over. Here is Garrett's cheer from this morning.

Rah, Rah, Rah
Sis-Boom-Bah,
He did it in the pot,
Garrett thanks a lot,
Yeeaahh Garrett!


So far, both boy's names have fit right into the rhythm. We'll have to make sure we name #3 something that will fit into the cheer, too.

5 comments:

Sheffer's said...

Hooray!!!!! I know what you mean about needing a break from diapers. One of my requirements for getting pregnant again was that both boys be potty trained. It's beautiful! Not to mention how much money it saves me! :D Good luck!

Crystal Eldredge said...

I hate potty training. I hope he keeps it up! It is so hard being pregnant and changing a full grown kids rear end!

Dunklees said...

Too hilarious! Go Garrett!

momma street said...

Love it! Madelyn isn't too interested either. Keep up the work - miracles can happen!!

pawlowski said...

Good luck!! I hate potty training, I've lucked out and my mother-in-law has done all so far except Joey. I'm not looking forward to the last two. Congrats on number three!! Boys are great!!