Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sunday Marathon

This is a little thing that I want to make sure I remember.

We started our Sunday at 11:00 a.m. attending our own ward. We all stayed for Sacrament, then Gabriel and I left at 12:00 to head accross town to see Arianna's Primary Program. When Gabriel went to tell Arianna good luck, I noticed a lady I knew from the Deaf Branch. I chatted with her for a minute and saw the interpreter chair was empty. I asked if there was someone on the way, and she said someone was supposed to be there. As the meeting started the chair was still empty, so I ran up to check if she wanted a fill-in till the interpreter arrived. I had to remember all of my church signs quickly, it's amazing how fast you forget the signs you don't use regularly. I was lucky to get a copy of the program so I could follow along. Kids either talk really really fast, or really slow, or don't ennunciate clearly; all are difficult to interpret. It's funny I've been singing all the same songs in our own ward for the entire year, but today kept forgetting what the next line was. Gabriel was a really good boy for Nannie and Uncle Rob in the back, I was glad to not hear him the whole hour. He really wanted to go to Sunbeams with Arianna, so I stayed the whole block, and let him go. I hope he was good for the teacher. It was a guy teacher that was alone because his team-teacher (wife) just had a baby. Poor guy had a huge class, luckily only two of the kids were boys. Gabriel did well, and always has fun visiting other wards.

As we left I noticed a text message on my phone. Aunt Sassy needed a kid "fix"; she hadn't seen any of the kids for a couple of weeks. I was STARVING and today was Break the Fast at the Institute, soooo of course I stopped by. Gabriel was very excited to see Aunt Sassy, Nannie, and Papa. I was glad to see all, but one item, on the menu was soy free. That meant he got to eat too. I made a deal with him that he could talk with his voice as long as he didn't run at Sassy's Church. It was pretty successful, especially when he was given a kitchen assignment to "help" Sassy clean up. He was the dish dryer. I walked in to his fuzzy little head sticking up above the counter while he worked away. All went well till he got a BIG bowl and couldn't hold it, so he set it on the dirty floor to dry it. Nannie ended up having to wash that one again. After Break the Fast, Sassy was in the Chorale Concert Fireside. Gabriel really wanted to stay for that, and they needed an interpreter to cover a last minute cancellation, but I needed to get home and rescue Stephen from hometeaching with a 2 year old "companion". During our drive home Gabriel asked how Jesus talked to us. I tried my best to explain prompting by the spirit on a four year old level. I don't think I did it well because he asked if the Holy Ghost was inside Jesus. I wanted him to at least be clear that they are separate. So, lamely, I said, "no Jesus and the Holy Ghost are friends, not inside eachother". I told him that the Holy Ghost will bring feelings to our mind and heart FOR Jesus. Then as abruptly as he started down this path he changed it back to a normal four year old topic.

I got home with my two boys (7:15 p.m.), and the wrestling match was on. I wish I could have a tenth of their energy. I finally had to hog-tie Garrett so Gabriel could focus long enough to get his Sunday shirt unbuttoned and get changed. I asked if they wanted to watch a Sunday movie. They were pretty excited about that. Each boy got to pick one; Garrett picked The Brother of Jared and Gabriel picked The Kingdom of Heaven. They settled in and were calm for the whole Brother of Jared movie. As the movie depicted them traveling through the wilderness Gabriel looked at me and said, "I feel weird in my heart." I told him that's the Holy Ghost telling him that this is a true story. He corrected me and said, "No, It's Jesus in my heart." I just agreed with him and said that feeling means that it is true, and when you feel that you can believe it. He nodded his little head and settled back into watching the movie.

What a lesson for me, it doesn't matter how young, or wild, or seemingly oblivious they are, kids are close to the spirit, and DO recognize it, they just don't have the words to explain it all. I've seen other times I was pretty sure Gabriel could feel something, but this was the first time he expressed it. Oh, how I hope he can keep that weird feeling throughout his, and follow its guidance.

3 comments:

Sharron said...

Gabe was so good for us down at the institue. And he was a real big help in the kitchen. He was so entertaining, more people came in to help, so the work was done even faster.

Linda said...

Great teaching moments! Thanks for sharing.

Katrina said...

Hi Mariah,

I found your blog on Angie's and I hope you don't mind me looking in and enjoying your cute family. This is Katrina. My parents are Don and Sue Robinson. We grew up together, same ward and everything for a long time. I am now in Saguaro Park ward, and the Petty's are in my ward. Funny how the world is so small!!! Your family is adorable~