Thursday, October 16, 2008

Breaking the News

We broke the news to Gabriel that he has a brother on the way. He has the most expressive eyes I've seen in a kid. There are times that I can only tell what he's feeling by the look in his big brown eyes. His eyes had a deeply concerned, sad look come into them. He said, "No it's a sister." I went and got the sonogram pictures, thought I could maybe use them as a visual aid. He was impressed with the little profile pictures of his body and head. Then I showed the last one; the one with the profile of the "boy parts". I asked, "What is that?" He looked very deflated and said, "A weenie." (I don't know if that word is allowed on the internet, but that was his answer.)

He sat for just a second then asked, "Where is my sister?" How's a mom supposed to answer such a sincere question? I doubt that an explaination about Mommy is doing her X chromosome part, but Dad likes Y chromosomes is going to cut it. I answered, "Well right now I'm making a brother and maybe later Jesus will send a sister." He asked, "Can you start making my sister right now?" Stephen chuckled and took that one; he said, "Only one baby at time, we have to finish making your brother then let him grow up for awhile (15 months of grow is a minimum for me :) then maybe we can make a sister."

He thought for a couple of minutes and accepted another boy and announced his name will be Jo-phes. I think he got that name because his own name is "Ga-bi-el Maskey Joe-phes".

Since I'm on names Garrett has been working on learning his whole name. For several weeks now Garrett has thought his name was Garrett Maskey Joe-phes. I corrected him one day and said, "No, it's Garrett Charles Maskey." Garrett giggled and said, "Garrett Cha-es Maskey Joe-phes." As long as he realizes he only has three names before Kindergarten all will be well.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, that is sweet. Guess you have to keep having babies until Gabriel gets a little sister. Good luck!

Linda said...

That is a funny story. I laughed out loud at Gabriel's answer. Children are such cute little comedian's without even trying.

Sharron said...

Gabriel has been alittle angel at Nanny's tonight. He hasn't mentioned that his sister is ending up a brother. I wsa kind of surprised, but then we ahve been pretty busy getting that train track just right!

He wants to go on my walk in the morning and will help me push the stroller through the dirt when needed. Such a sweet doll of a boy. Tonight he wants to sleep with Nanny and Papa ... let's see who gets kicked out of the bed first!

Liz said...

oh boy!!! Congrats

Katrina said...

Hey Mariah,

I found your blog and hope you don't mind me popping in and looking at it. I am Katrina Bingham. My parents are Sue and Don Robinson. We kind of grew up together in the same ward for a long time!!! Anyway you have such a cute family and congrats on another boy. I have three little girls. We would love to add a boy to the mix, but we will see!!! Love your blog

Ava Nielson said...

How fun to have another boy! Gabriel is already a great big brother and will continue to be for this one...and I bet one day he'll get his sister. And what a lucky little girl she'll be!

Sprinkle said...

I'm just browsing blogs on a sleepless night with my baby, hope you don't mind me commenting but the way you wrote that was just so cute and too funny! Enjoy your family!