Thursday, October 9, 2008

Follow up on the update

So, I did leave a lot of details out about the toilet incident. Now I'll share a little one. When we pulled the toilet up we discovered a mushroom thing growing under it. Yeah I know it made me want to puke. Since there was dirt, instead of foundation, and moisture due to the leak it was able to grow. This morning during breakfast Stephen said, "Last night I dreamed that there was a mushroom growing out from under the tub. So, before I left for basketball (he plays 6 days a week early morning) I had to go in and check to make sure there was nothing there." It made me laugh. That must have been a really traumatic experience for him to clean up and fix if he's dreaming about it now. Poor guy.

As for the stories behind my mom's comment. I'll share, because it should be on record for when I'm a Grandma and get my own revenge.

The make-up: I don't even use make-up except for weddings and family pictures. So it just sits in my little make-up bag. One afternoon Garrett got out of his room during nap time and then busted Gabriel out of his room. They were VERY quiet, so I didn't hear them from the family room. Later I got to thinking that they should be awake and went looking for them...empty dark rooms was all I found. I honestly thought they'd gotten out the windows somehow. Then I heard it....GIGGLES! I followed the sounds of joy to my bathroom. I opened the door to find Garrett standing in the sink and Gabriel on the floor in the middle of a puddle of foundation. Immediately Gabriel tattled that Garrett was getting into the medicine cabinet. HMMM There were layers of hair gel, hand sanitizer, and make-up everywhere. Then I noticed they were covered in a while film and saw the two empty deodorant containers. I'm weird about deodorant so they were two empty EXPENSIVE deodorant containers. Grrrr, off to the second bath of the day for them. I wanted to make sure anything else I couldn't identify was washed off of them too. As I washed Gabriel down there was a ton of brown coming off his arms and hands. Apparently foundation and lotion can be applied to the arms and hands the same way.

Gourmet omlette: Stephen makes fantastic breakfast burritos. When Stephen is making them he puts a bowl in the sink and breaks all the eggs right into that bowl. Early one morning Gabriel came and woke me up with, "Mommy it's terrible Garrett broke the eggs on the couch." Yep, this is often how I wake up in the mornings, to some kind of disaster. As I stumbled into the family room, very grateful that we have free, not nice, hand-me-down couches, I saw the egg carton sitting next to Garrett. I had bought that carton of eggs the previous evening. Next to Garrett was just one broken egg, and a whole egg in each hand. Lucky only one broke....I thought. The carton was empty. I asked Gabriel where the rest of the eggs were. He explained that they had been cooking like Daddy. I looked in the sink and there were the other 9 eggs smashed to pieces, NOT in a bowl. They were lucky that they were the normal store eggs and not the farmer's market expensive ones.

To all the psychologists out there that say we genderize boys to act like boys and girls to act like girls. I CAN ASSURE YOU I DIDN'T TRAIN THESE BOYS TO DESTROY EVERYTHING THEY CAN GET THEIR HANDS ON. Boys simply are boys from the moment they enter this world.

Watching these mobile wrecking balls brings a whole new meaning to the proclamation on the Family when it says that gender is an essential characteristic of premortal, mortal, and eternal existance. (not exact quote) I know not all boys are quite this destructive, and I have hope that we can harness the energy and flow of "ideas" coming from them into something productive someday. Until then, I'm sure I'll continue to live in my little anthill of chaos. These are the golden years right?? I heard during conference that someday I'll miss all the fingerprints. At this point I'd let them leave fingerprints on everything if it meant a reduction in the messes. Another note, a fingerprint is not good enough for boys they want the destruction to make NOISE (rip, crash, shatter, thud followed by a howling crying) you get the idea. I'm grateful the weather has cooled down enough that I can usually talk them into going outside for awhile.

Until the next note worthy disaster.....

5 comments:

Sharron said...

I must be a rotten mother, I do enjoy these stories, as long as they happen over at their house.

When Mariah was approaching her 2nd birthday, my mom w0ould call almost every night to hear what was going on now. She said that she was already getting revenge on my teen years...angel that I was. So that is why I do get a kick out of Rye's "golden years"

pawlowski said...

Mariah! Hey! It's your long lost cousin!! I found your blog through your moms. I'm glad she found mine. It's so fun to see your kids and hear of all the excitment going on. Hope things are going great. I'm kinda new to the whole blog thing too, so we'll get it figured out together. Anyway, keep in touch. Check out our blog! Sounds like you guys are good!!

-Nancy

Sheffer's said...

Oh Mariah, I wish we lived closer. OUr boys would LOVE each other!!!! We used to have a little play kitchen in our living room with the toys (they went through a phase where they wanted to pretend to be me, it's over now), I had to get rid of it because of the countless times I'd get out of the shower or come down in the morning to a dozen eggs cracked into the play sink and all over the carpet!!!!!! Oh, good times, right?! haha I can totally empathize with what you're going through and I do believe that we can harness and direct this wonderful energy they have towards something good. (I have to or else I'll get really upset!) :) Oh yeah, then there was the time I found them playing in a big pile of Comet bathroom cleaner, or eating Claritin, Tylenol, etc. People with little girls just don't understand.

Dansie Family said...

crazy fun! we will laugh at it all eventually.

Linda said...

Your stories are wonderfully funny and reminiscent of my young motherhood days!