Sunday, April 25, 2010

Lunch Time

A couple weeks ago I got a call from Gabriel's student teacher. He's gotten in trouble a lot with her. They've kinda come to some common ground, but I think she'd be an ideal teacher for a class of girls. I haven't seen that she understands boys are just flat out different than girls. She mentioned he'd gotten caught in the bathroom during lunch screaming at the top of his lungs along with another kid. I asked which kid, she told me the name, and I knew Gabriel hanging around with this kid was not a good idea. I shared this with her and explained that we're trying to teach him not to be a follower, but that's exactly what he is at this stage. She said she would switch the seating arrangement in class to limit interaction between these two. Gabriel mentions that this kid gets red almost everyday. Then she told me that several girls had told her that during lunch recess Gabriel was hitting them really hard. I was NOT happy to hear this and told her that it would be addressed at home.

Later, I picked him up. He reported he'd been on green all day during school. I gave him a hug and asked how lunch went because I'd heard he didn't have green then. He looked down and knew he was busted. I asked what in the world he was thinking by screaming in the bathroom. His response, "I don't know ------ started it." So, we talked about not copying other people's bad choices. He seemed receptive. I told him if he can't make good choices around ------ then maybe he should play with other kids, like kids that are on green all the time. He agreed that was a good idea.

I asked why he was hitting girls hard on the playground. This is how he explained it..."Mom, they surrounded me and said chipmunk soup, chipmunk soup, chipmunk soup over and over. I didn't like them saying that and couldn't get out unless I hit them." "What's wrong with saying chipmunk soup?" "It's a witch thing!" I'm thinking, 'Great what the heck are they talking about on the playground?' "How do you know it's a witch thing?" (In a semi hushed but forced whisper) "I just know it." That mind of his never stops working...

I told him he's skinny enough to squeeze out and run and play near a teacher next time. It is NEVER ok to hit especially girls. I asked him if he'd ever seen Daddy hit Mommy even when Mommy made Dad really mad. He looked at me like I was crazy and said, "NO". Had he seen Papa hit Nanny? No. Had he seen Mr. ------ (his principal) hit any teachers because they had kids in their classes being naughty? No. Did he think Jesus hit girls that said rude things to him and hurt his feelings? No. We discussed some strategies for managing the girls on the playground and how to avoid them bothering him in the future.

I hope he doesn't get sent on his mission to Kentucky or somewhere that they actually eat chipmunk soup, he'll be traumatized all over again. :-)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

On Ethan's mission in Michigan, he ate a squirrel, woodcock, and raccoon stew. The family serving it were members of the Church and not witches, BTW.

You are such a great mom! Coming from the teacher end, I love hearing about parents who really are teaching their children how to behave appropriately. Thank you!!!! Who knows, maybe Gabriel will be one of my college students someday!

Anonymous said...

>I haven't seen that she understands boys are just flat out different than girls.

That's one of the major problems with government schools (and the educational establishment in general) these days. They seem bent on making little boys behave like little girls.

Brianna said...

Yes, little boys and little girls are pretty different.
And the playground can be a tough place at any age. But I know he'll make it through. He was my buddy at the Zoo on Saturday for most of the morning...we had lots of fun. :)

As a teacher, I also have to add that it is so wonderful to come across a parent who does not depend on the school to provide all the teaching moments and discipline! Great job!!! :)

On a side note, we decided (Gabriel and I) that we need to have play dates this summer. Some at my house, and some at his. It sounded great to me. When we both have a spare moment (I know...like we ever have one of those), we should plan some funtime for us and the cousins! :)

Eldredge Family said...

I hate getting the "5553" code on the caller ID I know without a doubt that it is the school again. Wayne did this and Wayne did that...blah blah blah. I could not take it anymore last week when I got yet again another call from the schools principal about Wayne. I just started crying. Wayne was put in time out for something. He got mad and started kicking the pipe hanging out of the wall. Well long story short...he kicked a hole in the wall, broke the pipe that leads to all the kinder garden bathrooms. All class rooms needed evacuated due to water pouring into all of the classrooms......AHHHHHH! I feel that Spencer and I are doing every thing we possibly can to discipline him and encourage him to choose the right. I really feel like such a looser Mom most of the time. I am taking him to a Dr. on Wednesday to try and figure out what might be going on with Wayne and his brain??? I have no clue! The Dr. is LDS and she rarely prescribes medications so I am praying that we will have some answers soon. Thanks for being honest because, on Tuesday when I got the call I thought am I the only Mom that has a kid that pushes the schools buttons??? I will continue to pray for you if you pray for Wayne and I! I sorta feel like his teacher has dubbed him a trouble maker and sees him only as that...

Munchkin Invasion said...

Chipmunk soup - that's what it was. I was trying to tell Brent that story the other day, but I couldn't remember the phrase. It wasn't as funny when I couldn't remember the name he was called. I'll have to remember that one - the next time I'm really mad - CHIPMUNK SOUP!

Sharron said...

Isn't amazing how this probably was traumatic because of the tone of voice they were using? I have seen it repeatedly. . . even for adults.

Gabriel is doing so well. Weekly he comes up with something that reminds me how hard he has worked and how far he is progressing. With you two as parents, he'll be OK in this old world!

Mariah said...

Crystal,
I'm right there with ya on these crazy kids. I was able to find a Dr here in Tucson, he sadly had to move, that helped me a TON. He also rarely used meds. He suggested I read a book called Transforming the Difficult Child. It worked miracles in Gabriel's life. He's still a handful but manageable....most of the time. If you want all the information on it I can get it to ya (our mom's have each others emails). I'm re-reading it again right now with an older child in mind to see where I need to modify some of the techniques. It's amazing how it works with all ages and grows with your child. Good luck with your appointment.I hope you can get some answers. I wish they came with just a few instructions...just enough to get us started. :-)