Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Yes,

they are both mine. Yes, they have the same father. Yes, they are full siblings. Yes, I noticed one is brown and brunette and one is white and blond. Yes, they are both beyond adorable. Yes, we love them both and would do anything in the world for them. Yes, they are both friendly and will someday notice when someone is turning their back on them. Yes, I would love for you to migrate back to whatever upper Midwestern state hole you're "wintering" from and stop being so blatant in your view of my children.

I love the rude "Golden Generation".

It's not like we haven't noticed the color variation in the kids. In fact, watching genetics play out is one of the most fascinating things EVER in my book. Comments or reactions about the differences haven't ever bothered me *except* when it's judgmental. My mom said the lady kinda looked at me like I must've finally straightened myself out and married a white guy or something. I'd noticed her and was hoping it was my own paranoia, nope, I saw right. Good thing I've been loved and nurtured by the best Grandparents and Great-Aunts in the whole world so that I have good people the balance out the rest.

Here's hoping for a really hot snap that will clear all the snow birds out, then a cool down so we can actually enjoy the decent weather before the summer hits.

9 comments:

Molly said...

That is funny....kinda. I think all of the boys have Stephen's face - there is no question that they are brothers. Oh well - people always looks at me odd when they look at my girls and learn their names are Andie and Ali - and NO - they are NOT short for anything! And yes - Andie is a girl's name, in my book! Ok, I'm over it. :)

Amanda Griggs said...

Genetics is the most predicable-non reliable science EVER! Everyone says you mix this and that and you always get this outcome. Yeah right! We have a friend that had twins. . . One looks Hispanic like his dad, and the other looks Irish like his mom. Same womb, same time, one dark olive skin, brown hair, brown eyes. The other light skin, red hair, blue eyes. It was the most fascinating thing to witness! I think Stephen and you make adorable children no matter who they look like!

Izzy looks nothing like me, and all like John. The only mark I have on her is my blood type!

Brianna said...

Hey, I like the variety you guys produce! Arianna says that the boys like to play with her...and that's all the really matters in her mind! I missed Gabriel at my concert tonight...he's always been one of my biggest fans!

Sharron said...

You tell them sister! Here's the best part . . . Lincoln wouldn't talk to her and turned away! smart little boy!

Dunklees said...

How ridiculous! It's really not that uncommon for siblings to not look alike!

Courtney said...

People are very interesting in how they view things and what is okay to comment on. Having Carina and Ethan I get that same reaction although she is not mine. Mostly it is something along the lines of how interesting to have two that look so different. I am fascinated with genetics too. When Ethan was born with red hair, fair skin, and light blue eyes I wondered and wondered what the next little boy would look like and he has darker skin, brown hair, and dark blue eyes that may or may not stay that way. The good thing about strangers is that you can just ignore them and their comments.

Liz said...

Aren't "Snow Birds" the greatest! I'm so glad they aren't prevalent in my neck of the woods. Before we had shopping venues by me the closest was in Apache Junction and I hated it. Yes "Snow Birds" are a great boost for our economy but do they have to be so rude? I had one with his oxygen tank keep ramming his wheel chair cart into the back of me and poking me with his cane in the check out line. REALLY? I turned around and told him that I got here first and my food was already loaded and being rung up could he please wait his turn. I turned around and WHAM and POKE POKE. I turned around and grabbed his cane and said, "HIT me ONE more TIME! I dare you!" He says, "What are you going to do? I will have Walmart pull the tapes of your assault and have you arrested. NO MORE hits. I could go on for hours about all the rudesness/abuse one gets from them. Gosh I hope I'm a "SWEET OLD LADY"!

I used to be so amazed at how different each of my kids looked. Crystal was dark skinned, dark hair and eyes then Jessica pale sking, blond hair blue eyes...then Amanda pale skin, blond hair and dark eys...who knows. I used to be asked if Crystal was from another dad or adopted all the time! NOPE she looked like my dad, her grandpa and inherited the Indian features from her Great Great Grandma.
Well your boys are beautiful!

The Roberts Rollercoaster RIde said...

I kind of have the same problem. My kids are all OPPOSITE looking. They really don't look alike. Most people think they are friends. Like I'm some nice neighbor to bring all the neighborhood kids with me. THEN when old hags, and every other judgemental person finds out their ALL mine. I get all sorts of personal questions. YEP, all sorts!

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious and awful at the same time. Isn't it common enough nowadays to actually have children of different races that people shouldn't even question kids of the same race but different coloring? People are funny. Or just ignorant.