Monday, April 5, 2010

Spring Break Did The Trick

After a week off school, Gabriel came home so excited to tell me he'd been on green all day. He's been struggling with excessive talking and being off task lately. He looked at me so funny when I told him being off task is one of the worst things you can do at school. I can't really blame the kid, the main thing his mother got in trouble for during her school years was....talking. His dad, along with two other friends, was named the "vortex of energy". So really the poor kid didn't stand a chance. Although, these little details have never been mentioned to him. ;+)

Today he DID keep himself controlled, stayed on green all day, was the first one to go to the prize box, and earned building blocks for character. He told me he earned "a block". I know about the building blocks for character, but honestly didn't really have any expectation of him earning it. It usually goes to those "good kids" that are easy to teach. There were two girls and two boys total. We're proud. In his district they start teaching several life skills in kindergarten and build on them throughout their schooling. I didn't realize it started so young, but I like it. It's things like be a problem solver, be respectful, be flexible, etc. They're the things that are vital to navigating through all the stages of life. He told Stephen about it; when asked how he earned it he shrugged his shoulders and said, "used my life skills". He's getting it now. He's always reached milestones and learned the things he needed, it's just taken longer than most of his peers. This delayed "getting it" will be something that is with him for a lifetime. It's taken him 3 long quarters of kindergarten, but he's getting it now. I'm glad to see the growth and proud he's been persistent enough to stick with it till he got it. I pray he'll always be so persistent...school goes on for a long time.

I continue to research and re-read resources for helping him overcome the challenges he'll face throughout his life. The Lord's hand guided us to the people we needed to find for him, and continues to nudge or shove, as needed, so he has the tools to succeed in life. He will succeed, he's such a tender hearted little guy, and can conquer life.

Congratulations on a great day my Gabriel!

5 comments:

Courtney said...

Yea for having a good day. Talking in class has been a problem for Carina since Kindergarten as well and she is in 5th Grade now. Everybody has their things I guess.

Sharron said...

My dad called a tongue that is lose on both ends . . so fitting!

He does keep everyone on their toes and does always finally come through!

Tell him I'm doing the happy dance & hope he earns an overnighter this week!

Alison said...

I know he has given you a run for your money but I just love that little Gabriel. I just think he is such a great kid. He makes me laugh too.

Munchkin Invasion said...

YEA GABRIEL!!! Going back after Spring Break was good for Isaiah too. He was so relieved to be back to his routine - that he was finally able to SIT STILL. :)

I'm proud of Gabriel!

Brianna said...

Great job Gabriel!!! Hugs!