Monday, June 7, 2010

Summer is Here!

In our little Tucson "suburb" it is currently 106 degrees. I know it could be hotter, and it's only 2:00 pm, so I'm pretty sure it will get hotter today. Our poor 30 year old cooler is getting a work out today...and I'm STILL roasting! This nice toasty week should knock the chill off the pool, so watch out world because next week the great white whale is goin' swimmin'. That should be a great show.

Gabriel had his first day of "summer school" today. He's been so excited about getting back to school, and it's been clear he needed the structure and something to do everyday. We nearly melted picking him up at noon...but that's already been talked about. As we were driving to the school he said, "Mom, I'm nervous." Oh, those big brown eyes of his just rip my heart in two. I asked him why he was nervous. He explained that he didn't know how this school worked and wasn't sure what this school would be like. That boy's got a lot of his Mama in him. While growing up, it was so painful every time I had to do something unfamiliar. I DID NOT, and still don't, like looking like an idiot "because I didn't know". He's got this in him too. I told him that none of the kids would know what to do because it was the first day and that if he listened to the teachers carefully they would tell him what to do, then he would know. He seemed good with it. We got there about 5 minutes early and found all his classes. When the teacher came out he went and waited in line to check in. After he told the teacher his name he looked up with those big brown apprehensive eyes again. They weren't the I'm about to cry eyes, just the I have no idea what to do and feel unsure eyes. I wanted to scoop him up and hold his hand through the day, but that does not foster coping skills or independence. The only thing left to do was give him a big hug, tell I love him, and to have lots of fun...that is the point of it after all.

When we picked him up he was happy, and talked about all the fun things he did. There were a couple kids he already knew in each class and had help from teachers as needed. He said he doesn't feel nervous anymore because now he knows how it works. This will be good for him. That kid THRIVES in structure. We had the "schedule change" drama during lunch, but that should subside soon.

Welcome Summer...at least it's hot enough that all the snow birds have been convinced to LEAVE! Gotta look for the positive. :+D

3 comments:

The Roberts Rollercoaster RIde said...

luv when the snowbirds would leave. suddenly u can drive a normal speed on the road!

Sharron said...

Snow birds haver left huh. Is that what your dad is doing every summer?

Taryn said...

I didn't know you were pregnant again! And I hear it's a girl! Awesome! Congratulations!

P.S. I know how you feel with your 30 year old cooler, ours is about that old too. No good.